Saturday, January 19, 2008

Foam from Home Depot

I recently contacted technical art guru Chuck Ernst. I used to work with at Midway with him. He has this really cool 3D sculpting machine. He didn't have any cool pics available for that but he did send some shots of props he has made for his kid's daddy-daughter dances.
Above is one of the sculptures in it's finished state.

Shown above is what it starts out like.


Chuck Says all you have to do is this. "Yeah the sculptures are made of pink foam bought at home depot. The deal is to make something huge and thick you have to glue the stuff together. I create most pieces in 3d then print out the slices on a plotter to use as templates. I made most of my own sculpting tools, thick wire hooked up to super high output soldering irons. "
Sounds easy, huh?









One thing I have always enjoyed about the business I am in is that you get to work with incredibly talented people who do really cool things as hobbies.

No comments: